Stretching should be an enjoyable and beneficial part of your daily routine. It’s amazing how our entire body is connected. Your low back might be feeling sore and it may be related to tension in your hamstrings.
Stretching makes my mind feel more clear as tension in my body is released. Yoga is a phenomenal physical and mental release. If you don’t practice yoga, the basic variety of high school stretches will have the same effect.
Stretch when you wake up and take a stretch break one other time during the middle of your work day. You’ll be amazed at how much better you feel.
Stretching has the following benefits:
- Reduced muscle tension
- Increased range of movement in the joints
- Enhanced muscular coordination
- Increased circulation of the blood to various parts of the body
- Increased energy levels (resulting from increased circulation)
Hold the following stretches for 15 to 20 seconds:
- Bend over and try to touch your toes
- Extend your arms over your head and reach to the sky
- Grab the top of one foot and pull your foot toward your butt
- Put one leg on a table top and lean forward into your body
- Cross one leg over the other leg’s knee while standing and sit down into your hip
- Lay your back on the floor and pull your knees as far as you can into your abdomen