Nutrition

The Truth About Diet Coke

Diet Coke

I drank 3 cans of Diet Coke and 3 bottles of Diet Snapple per day when I was in my mid-twenties.  Diet Coke is delicious- it’s crisp and sweet and refreshing all at the same time.  It goes great with coffee, even.  These drinks have no calories so I thought I was in the clear.  My friend, Shannon, accosted me one day when she saw me throwing down can after can.  “They’ll rot your teeth and there are all sorts of other bad chemicals in there that will upset your stomach.”  While not entirely scientific, Shannon scared me and was right.

I stopped drinking ‘diet’ drinks with fake sugar and no calories.  I felt better and lost 5 pounds within a few weeks.  The science is all up in the air, but once I stopped tricking my body with fake sugars, I saw an immediate response in my waistline.

I now love sparkling water- it satisfies my craving for crisp.  East some fruit- a couple cherries, some blueberries or a fuji apple-  if you have a sweet craving.

I cheat with one can every now and again (every two weeks or so) and that’s ok.

Below are two articles that go into the science

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

7 Responses to “The Truth About Diet Coke”

1. On June 27, 2012 at 9:23 AM Anonymous responded with... #

I gave up diet sprite recently. I have not lost weight but I enjoy the taste of my sparkling water at night when I would otherwise have had my sprite. Why no weight loss for me? Unfair!!!

Oh and I want to try chia seeds. What is the best way to eat them and how much should I eat??? Getting ready for a cleanse next week and I hear these are a good appetite suppressant.

2. On June 27, 2012 at 10:33 AM Trent Bender responded with... #

Glad to hear u stopped diet coke, this is the silent killer of drinks. I started drinking lemon or lime water for the past six months now and have lost weight, toned up and feel great. All I do is place lime or a lemon into my water bottle and bam that’s it. I would get rid of the sparkling water as well or cut back on drinking it sorry for that. Also with the chia seeds I use about three tablespoons a day. I put one tablespoon in my daily oatmeal, another on my salad then the last one in my fruit smoothie. This really helps with those cravings and have seen a great difference when using them. Good luck with the cleanse and if u need any suggestions let me knew.

3. On June 27, 2012 at 11:00 AM Fabian Bouthillette responded with... #

I had to overcome a Diet Coke addiction too, and that’s really how I would describe it: addiction. It was making me feel bad, but I wouldn’t stop, continuing to use my mind to rationalize its benefits – 0 calories, caffeine, crispy flavor – despite my body (and spirit) telling me otherwise. I switched to coffee (which I think is great in the morning and in small doses) and have now started replacing coffee with green tea. Yerba Mate has been amazing. So, I’ve trusted my body and spirit to get me away from Diet Coke, but my mind has also been able to buy in because I’ve learned that Diet Coke depletes potassium, which I realize must account for why it was making me feel shitty. For super refreshment, try iced green tea, but watch that caffeine intake.

4. On June 27, 2012 at 11:40 AM admin responded with... #

Great post Fabi. What is Yerba Mate?

5. On June 28, 2012 at 1:38 PM Anonymous responded with... #

Chia seeds in smoothies. I heard they swell up and make a smoothie hard to drink. What’s the truck?? Why cut back in the bubble water? The Splenda sweetener?

6. On June 28, 2012 at 1:38 PM Anonymous responded with... #

Sorry meant trick not truck

7. On June 29, 2012 at 6:28 AM 2pitman responded with... #

No they taste great is smoothies, Ive been doing this for months now and it works great. Also add them to my salads and BAM good stuff. As far as the water Im just not a fan, love my lemon water works great and I see results.

Add your response